Tuesday, November 11, 2008

With the little I have, I give it all. >>>>

Yesterday, I learnt yet another valuable lesson. I heard that my best friend in primary school has finished his ITE and has now gone into Nanyang Poly. It truly warmed my heart to hear the news...I remembered both he and I got into the same primary 3 class... it was the last class. He was there because he was a slow learner by nature (and I was there cause I was playful and just plain lazy) And so at primary 5, he was streamed into EM3 followed by normal tech and then ITE. The thing I admired most about him, was his sensibility (很懂事). His family survives on little and life was rather hard for them as his parents dun earn much...mum works at a foodstall ( i can't remember what the dad works as) but their income feeds 6 mouths back home.
I remembered just this year, I was late for church cell group and went to grab a bite at Macs at TM...I looked at the menu hurriedly but looked up when I heard my name being called...and there he was behind the counter...smiling and ready to take my order.
Thinking about it, I really feel very very ashamed of myself...I cannot hold a candle to him. I knew that he was not smart to start with, but when my mom told me that he really worked his guts out in ITE and finally got into poly, my heart just leaped with joy...I knew it did not come easy and that he had truly maximised his potential. With the little he had, he gave it all. I felt ashamed of myself...because I knew at that moment, I was just a pack of lazy bones... playful and unwilling to push myself to achieve greater.
Hongyi and I were chatting one night and he mentioned something that sort of hit me. He said some thing like: 'Each time we get too comfortable, its time to get out of that comfort zone.' I fully agree. Successful people do not allow themselves to stay stagnated but constantly puts themselves in environments of change and challenge. They are not satisfied with their current achievements but seeks after greater things and hence, they progress and moves on in life till they have maximised their fullest potential. I was too 'comfortable' with what I had achieved and never actually thought that I had much more in me. To summarize, I was just plain lazy...Hence, I have to change... because a true sense of achievement only comes when you have stepped into battle zone and fought your best fight!
~I'm giving all I've got~

No comments: